Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tell me a story - IM6VJ


Guy Ruddle Daily Telegraph Podcast Editor talking to Viewmagazine.tv David about how multimedia and the Telegraph is the future

My head hurts.

I have five books in front of me - one an original from MIT - which started off multimedia as we know it. (re- Negraponte)

I have been furiously writing in a note pad, surprised, challenged, disagreeing, but understanding that the discourse is what I am looking for deconstructing videojournalism - already deeply influenced by photography, film and sound.

This morning I filmed/interviewed Guy Ruddle at the Telegraph who spoke about their multimedia offerings and how one national broadcasters has been pressed to look at what the Telegraph is doing cuz they're 'wopping' us.

I'd already thought the package with Guy, the Croydon Advertiser doing Sound Slide, and Al jazeera's Riz Khan was way incomplete, so I crossed over to our graphics department where two heads of Graphics further aroused my interests.

Their bent, multimedia has altered in meaning in delivering everything the computer can offer into a commodified entity. The end user is still king, but there are significant spaces to explore.

So I'm reading through Stewart Brand's The Media Lab Inventing the Future at MIT and Multimedia from Wagner to Virtual Reality.

And this is why in part my head's pounding. There are so many ideas about ideas, thoughts within thoughts, links from present stations to new ones that I have taken a break to "brain dump" - some kind of cartharsis.

It still strikes me that the geometrical spatial plane online and interactive narrative can further 'disrupt' present flows.

Actually, I should say links away from the status quo.

We're back at video hyperlinking which I demonstrated in the Trust in the Media video and now with some new action scripting (some kind of "tell target") could be deployed towards a new experience.

And what if this piece of work - seven years old- was modifed so each narrative linked off each other in a factual based story.

And what if we could xml narrative data on-the-fly, so further explanation could be given of background info provided.

Yes it's all about the end user

No comments: