Thursday, December 11, 2008

BBC shares I-player and other technology

This is huge - an announcement within the BBC minutes ago, reported here by the Guardian of the BBC's move to share its technology and digital knowledge.

I met and spoke to the BBC's Eric Huggers, soon after he joined from Microsoft. He's since been made appointed Director, BBC Future Media and Technology.

One of the questions that Erik was considering two years ago was where the I-player, just before its lannch, could go.

It has undoubtedly been a huge success. Given what we're seeing is version I, the future's looking good to score more digital points with its next iterations.

Making that available, though I'm unsure it will be a white label for off the shelf purchase, should give other broadcasters a leg in.

I'd hope the BBC gives preference to smaller outfits serving significant niche and minority interests.

No comments: