Thursday, December 17, 2009

Tribute to Great British Poet Adrian Mitchell



Adrian Mitchell famously said of Poetry:

Most people ignore most poetry because most poetry ignores most people

He was a towering figure [Wiki entry], but I won't pretend to be the expert or anywhere near that on him.




Above, this is from London's Royal Albert Hall on June 11 1965 called "To Whom it May Concern.

Part of my sojourn as Artist in Residence at the South Bank Centre is to capture what I would call moments and this is a treasured one behind the scenes as family and friends gather.

A tribute show was planned for the evening and with 2 hours to go, Lucy McNab, one of the producers at the South Bank, somehow got me into the rehearsals.

Not that I didn't want to go, more what would I do, as well as not intrude, as everyone quietly prepared themselves for the evening's performance.

Sasha who features in the video, very kindly leaned over to me, said hello and then asked what I was doing.

A three minute garbled spiel followed, before she concluded: "lovely!"

I hope this is OK.