Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Nailing the stand ups/ piece to camera as a videojournalist


Nailng the Stand Up/ Piece to camera as a videojournalist from david dunkley gyimah on Vimeo.

The clip you're seeing involves me emerging from a police press conference amongst a queue of policemen and involved no camera operator. How did I do it?

I'd been on the morning shift - a raid to arrest a throng of criminals was being organised by the police.

The codename: Operation Bumblee.

During the briefing I took the necessary shots I needed, caught the duty Sergeant speaking to his men, then realised I needed a bridge.

A bridge would enable me to relay the mood at the time.

So I gauged how long I had, took the camera - a beta 100 - and placed it outside the briefing room and pressed record.

I then went back into the room knowing I only had one shot at this emerging with the police.

In fact I guffed the first because I could see a policeman standing in front of the camera, so I went back in and sandwiched myself between some other policemen and did the take.

Watch the guy in the frame, a newspaper reporter, who has written on his face a look of surprise, before quickly realising what I was doing.

The report was part of a lengthier one on Crime and the opening shot comes from inside Wormwood Scrubs - a high level prison where I'd been inside interview inmate who were serving life sentences.

The film itself is from my archive 1995. I'll try and find the original video report

No comments: