Monday, December 10, 2007

New media training for the newsroom Continues



Following on from recent posting on New Media training for the newsroom, one of a series of video clips to drop into the theme.

This looks at the classic interview/ Q and A/ you see on TV.

In many ways it's the easy pick - the low hanging fruit.

I have shortened the timeline of the process but the technique should appear obvious inspite of a muddled audio.

This was a sequence picked up by another VJ and I wasn't miked for the process.

Three different shots which visually move on the narrative to give you various cut aways and establishers.

Somewhere in an archive posting is an interview with 7/7 survivor Rachel North done in the fashion described.


INTERVIEW, CUT AND POST IN 10 MINS

We ran an experiment at a Skup in Norway.

An interview with four questions, one edited out, cut and posted took ten minutes.

Because I'm shooting to edit, my timeline in FCP is clean.

All I have to do is mask the question I have removed and provide enough drop in shots to make the interview look interesting.

A decade plus ago, perhaps even now, TV will tell you you need two three people to execute that interview.

In 1994 we proved then, as now that a lot of the visual cues and language of TV was outmoded.

There was a swifter way of doing it.

Today a lot of my interviews tend to be handheld; that's a conscious filming style which allows me to work more creatively and swifter.

You can see an example of a more fluid interview here - one I did with super blogger and academic Andy Dickinson and respected Doc maker and also part of the MELD team Paul Egglestone

1 comment:

karyn gray said...

Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post thanks!
Media Training