Monday, December 10, 2007

New media training for the newsroom Continues



Following on from recent posting on New Media training for the newsroom, one of a series of video clips to drop into the theme.

This looks at the classic interview/ Q and A/ you see on TV.

In many ways it's the easy pick - the low hanging fruit.

I have shortened the timeline of the process but the technique should appear obvious inspite of a muddled audio.

This was a sequence picked up by another VJ and I wasn't miked for the process.

Three different shots which visually move on the narrative to give you various cut aways and establishers.

Somewhere in an archive posting is an interview with 7/7 survivor Rachel North done in the fashion described.


INTERVIEW, CUT AND POST IN 10 MINS

We ran an experiment at a Skup in Norway.

An interview with four questions, one edited out, cut and posted took ten minutes.

Because I'm shooting to edit, my timeline in FCP is clean.

All I have to do is mask the question I have removed and provide enough drop in shots to make the interview look interesting.

A decade plus ago, perhaps even now, TV will tell you you need two three people to execute that interview.

In 1994 we proved then, as now that a lot of the visual cues and language of TV was outmoded.

There was a swifter way of doing it.

Today a lot of my interviews tend to be handheld; that's a conscious filming style which allows me to work more creatively and swifter.

You can see an example of a more fluid interview here - one I did with super blogger and academic Andy Dickinson and respected Doc maker and also part of the MELD team Paul Egglestone

No comments: