Thursday, October 25, 2007

It's all about public knowledge

Had a good session with the next generation of journalists currently on their Masters program, who are keen to get into some Css and multimedia Flash Design. Brill!

World Editor's Forum Jean Yves tells me they're planning a write up on videojournalism after recently paying a visit.

I look forward to it.

I have no idea what he's going to say.

Meawhile a good friend rings up and asks if I might be interested in directing an ad. Er, ???

This thing we do, it's about knowledge; public knowledge.

There was a time not to long ago when irrespective of the years spent in a newsroom; mine started in 1987, editors believed, probably rightly then that they held all the cards.

My, the world has changed and some of the most interesting ideas are coming from those who are asking basic questions.

Why do we do that?

Why is the report 1.10"

Why do you have to close your report ?

Why?

This thing we do is about public knowledge.

Today's news featured items on MPs expenses and one senior UK figure investigating irregularities in company audits retiring from public office.

Sir John Bourn was comptroller and auditor general at the National Audit Office

His expenses over three years amounted to £336,000 on 45 trips.

£15,000 odd for a holiday with his wife. There was no suggestion of impropriety and he was cleared on any wrong doing last June.

Perhaps it just didn't look good.

There is, I guess, more that should be done in the web news media world around these issues.

Meanwhile, Press Gazette has entertained an idea which looks at Multimedia in the UK, which I'll probably do a VJ report around, so if you're doing anything interesting in this area please drop me a line.

email me here davegym@hotmail.com

Like I said this thing we do is public knowlege

No comments: